Thursday, August 16, 2012

How I keep track of it all

This is a huge series. I mean, really big.

How do I keep track of many characters, many of whom I will be writing about for their lifetimes (that is, I plan this as a multi-generational series).

A wiki, that's how. I set up a Wiki-Spaces wiki and on it I have all the information about my characters. I have links to pages, I have back story and history and pictures and maps ... it's glorious. It's at my fingertips. And I love it.

After I publish the books, I plan to make the Wiki public, so people can see how all the histories intertwine. For now, here's a look at the landing page for the Wiki. Do you see how there are links to information and a TOC on the side and ...

I have to tell you, this has made all the difference in the world to my writing. Now, right there, are all those scraps of papers that I used to collect to handle the information. It's all right at my fingertips.

Now to get back to the writing! I've been distracted by mysteries this summer, but now fall is around the corner, so I'll be heading back into Dream land.

See you later when I have more to report!